ITP: Guile 1.5.6

David A. Cobb superbiskit@cox.net
Sun Jul 7 15:28:00 GMT 2002

Charles Wilson wrote:

> Now, all of the RPM-nuts are jumping up and down screaming "RPM! RPM!"
> right now -- and the Debian faction is yelling "dpkg! dpkg!".  BEFORE
> voicing that, please go back and READ the 27,374 threads where this
> has been suggested in the past.  Here's a summary:
>   -- setup.exe must be able to install the packages
>   -- setup.exe is a native windows program
>   -- therefore, we'd need
>      + a native port of rpm, or
>      + change our whole modus operandi to a "two-step" procedure;
> natively install the "core" packages from regular tarballs --
> including an rpm package -- using a native setup.exe, and then use a
> different tool for system maintainance (or use setup in a different
> "mode" where it exec's the cygwin rpm.exe -- but this leads to other
> problems: a cygwin-dependent rpm.exe won't be able to update the
> cygwin package, unless some of the 'in-use-replace' magic from the
> current setup is grafted into rpm)

I'm just a plain-nut!  Would it be worthwhile, in your opinion, to look
at GNUpdate?  At least, it doesn't carry any corporate baggage.

--
David A. Cobb, Software Engineer, Public Access Advocate
"By God's Grace I am a Christian man, by my actions a great sinner." -- The Way of a Pilgrim; R. M. French, tr.