zsh for x86_64 uploaded

Peter A. Castro doctor@fruitbat.org
Sat Aug 10 00:52:00 GMT 2013

On Thu, 8 Aug 2013, Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> Hi Peter,

Greetings, Corinna,

> On Aug  7 16:36, Peter A. Castro wrote:
>> On Thu, 1 Aug 2013, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>>
>>> Hi guys,
>>> Hi Peter,
>>
>> Greetings, Corinna,
>>
>>> I just uploaded a 64 bit zsh-5.0.2-1 package.  I did not convert it to
>>> cygport but kept the g-b-s build script (mostly) intact.
>>>
>>> Only two patches were necessary, one of them dropping
>>> --host=i686-pc-cygwin  and --target =i686-pc-cygwin from the configury,
>>> the other was replacing a call to cygwin_conv_to_posix_path with a call
>>> to cygwin_conv_path in builtin.c since the old, deprecated
>>> cygwin_conv_to_XXX API doesn't exist on x86_64 anymore.  The patch is
>>> fortunately target independent.
>>
>> Thanks for doing this.
>> I've been too busy to devote time to Cygwin lately and I still don't
>> have access to 64-bit windows to do the porting.
>
> As I already stated in other mail on this list, if you have a machine
> with 64 bit hardware, you can just create a virtual machine with the
> VM of choice and install an evaluation version of Windows Server 2012
> from Microsoft:

I saw that email.  Had to re-signup for a "Microsoft Account" (formerly
Windows Live ID), which I did have but has apparently been deleted for
inactivity :-().  I feel so unclean. :-)

And, while I love to use VMs (and do for many, many things), having to
re-install Windows every 6 months for a new "evaluation" period isn't my
idea of "fun", given how many patches I'd have to install there after.

I'm looking for a more permanent solution, likely Win 7 Pro 64-bit
(retail) for cheap.  I guess I'll keep looking. :-/

Thanks for the cygport primer.  I'll give it a try for my next grab of
zsh.

--
--=> Peter A. Castro
Email: doctor at fruitbat dot org / Peter dot Castro at oracle dot com