Problems with the (new) implementation of AF_UNIX datagram sockets

Fri Apr 16 09:37:56 GMT 2021

On Apr 15 16:50, Mark Geisert wrote:
> Ken Brown wrote:

> > > There always is at least one instance.  Do you mean, two clients are
> > > trying to send while the server is idly playing with his toes?
> >
> > Yes.  That was essentially the situation in the test case attached to
> >
> >    https://cygwin.com/pipermail/cygwin/2021-April/248210.html
> >
> > It was actually one client sending many messages while the server was
> > playing with his toes, but the effect was the same.
>
> Sending datagrams between processes on the same system could be thought of
> as similar to sending/receiving messages on a POSIX message queue.  Though
> the mq_* man pages make it seem like mqs are intended for within-process
> messaging.  But if a datagram receiver created a message queue that datagram
> senders could open, couldn't that provide buffering and allow multiple
> clients?  Kindly ignore if insane.

Interesting idea, actually.  Message queues already implement a lot of
what a unix socket needs in terms of sending/receiving data.  The pipe
would only be needed for credential and descriptor passing, ultimately :)

Corinna