Other format: [Raw text]

Re: top posters

Phew.  When I read this first, I thought it was a list of people who do
what I am doing now (top posting).  I couldn't believe that I'd sent
that many messages with my text at the top of the message.

On Tue, Sep 28, 2004 at 01:44:42PM +0100, Dave Korn wrote:
> [...]

It's likely to be either me or Corinna.  You may also see me as
cgf-SPRANG-bosbc-BOP-com or cgf-SPRANG-bbc-BOP-com.  The bbc.com address
is no longer active, since the bbc.com domain was sold to a certain
other non-US organization.

FWIW, I get a weekly mailing list summary containing interesting info.
I used to always be the top but then I made a conscious decision not to
respond so much and to leave the answers to others.

I've attached the last report I received.  It is a rather atypical report
because, discounting postmaster, which is full of spam (sigh, and I have
to read it), cygwin is not second after gcc-bugs.  gcc-bugs is autogenerated
from bugzilla and is pretty much impossible to actually read.

cgf

This report generated on 2004-09-25.
This report covers the last 7 days.

Total subscribers:                           40,122
Total unique subscribers:                    29,613
Digest subscribers:                           2,574

Number of mailing lists:                        212

Number of mail notes handled:                16,598
Number of deliveries:                     1,850,534
Number of bytes sent down the wire:   7,691,272,653

Average length of msgs (incl header)          5,794
Average # of deliveries per message:            111

Average # of bytes sent per hour:        45,781,385
Average # of deliveries per hour:            11,015
On average, there was one delivery made every 0.33 seconds.

(Note: All message length calculations include the message headers.)
(# of notes sent to each list this week)
(cvs lists are not included)
  10161	postmaster
   1005	gcc-bugs
    811	gcc-patches
    499	cygwin
    365	gcc
    339	gcc-testresults
    256	root
    205	mailer-daemon
    187	guile
    142	ecos-discuss
    138	java-prs
    138	gdb-patches
    114	cygwin-apps
    112	libstdc++
    109	java-patches

Fifteen largest bandwidth using lists
(# of bytes sent down the wire, including mail headers)
(cvs lists are included)
  2,001,590,573 gcc-patches
  1,880,362,096 cygwin
    903,655,840 gcc
    459,785,088 gcc-testresults
    343,418,292 gcc-bugs
    303,478,475 ecos-discuss
    250,688,444 libstdc++
    170,104,872 cygwin-xfree
    144,963,200 cygwin-announce
    142,326,888 gcc-cvs
    139,591,998 binutils
    109,293,442 gcc-help
    101,936,802 gdb
     88,653,198 postmaster
     85,524,544 gdb-patches

Top twenty posters (to all lists, cvs lists are not included)
    332	"pinskia at gcc dot gnu dot org"
    152	"tromey at gcc dot gnu dot org"
     95	"cvs-commit at gcc dot gnu dot org"
     79	Richard Henderson
     73	Igor Pechtchanski
     68	Mark Mitchell
     67	"Gerrit P-PERIOD- Haase"
     63	Diego Novillo
     56	"Dave Korn"
     49	=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Tobias_Schl=FCter?=
     47	Zack Weinberg
     47	Christopher Faylor
     46	Jeffrey A Law
     45	Andreas Schwab
     43	root-SMACK!-sourceware-PERIOD-org (Cron Daemon)
     43	Ulrich Weigand
     42	Daniel Berlin
     40	Tom Tromey
     40	Paul Brook
     40	Paolo Carlini

                                         # of mail          Digest
List Name                                    notes Members Members
---------                                --------- ------- -------
XOpenWin-cvs                                     0       0     N/A
aaaspam                                          0       0       0
anonymous                                       48       0       0
autobook-cvs                                     0       4       0
autobook-webpages-cvs                            0       0       0
automake-cvs                                    16      18       4
automake-prs                                     0       9       2
automake-webpages-cvs                            4       1       0
bfd-cvs                                          0       0     N/A
bfd                                              0       2       0
bfd-webpages-cvs                                 0       0     N/A
binutils-cvs                                    29      50       3
binutils                                        70     351      71
binutils-webpages-cvs                            0       2       0
bug-gcc                                          0       0     N/A
bzip2-cvs                                        0       2       0
bzip2-webpages-cvs                               0       1       0
c++-embedded-cvs                                 0       0       0
c++-embedded                                     0     158      25
c++-embedded-webpages-cvs                        0       0       0
catapult-cvs                                     0       2       0
catapult-webpages-cvs                            0       2       0
cgen-cvs                                         0      11       1
cgen                                             1      50      11
cgen-prs                                         0      14       2
cgen-webpages-cvs                                0       0       0
cluster-cvs                                     25      26       1
cluster-webpages-cvs                             2       3       0
crossgcc                                        39     622     105
cvs-cvs-wwwdocs                                  0       0     N/A
cygwin-announce                                 16    2545     N/A
cygwin-apps-cvs                                  2      37       7
cygwin-apps                                    114     227      75
cygwin-apps-webpages-cvs                         0       0     N/A
cygwin-cvs                                      10      54      11
cygwin-developers                                0      40       5
cygwin-licensing                                 1      20       2
cygwin                                         499     945     415
cygwin-patches                                  28     145      29
cygwin-talk                                     33      29       3
cygwin-webpages-cvs                              8       3       0
cygwin-xfree-announce                            1     474       5
cygwin-xfree-cvs                                 0       3       0
cygwin-xfree                                    93     437     141
dm-cvs                                           0      14       4
dm-webpages-cvs                                  2       1       0
docbook-tools-announce                           0     375       3
docbook-tools-cvs                                0      12       2
docbook-tools-discuss                            0      84       9
docbook-tools-hackers                            0       3       0
docbook-tools-webpages-cvs                       0       1       0
dominion-announce                                0       4       0
dominion-cvs                                     0       3       0
dominion-discuss                                 0       2       0
dominion-hackers                                 0       3       0
dominion-webpages-cvs                            0       1       0
eclipse                                          0     149      49
ecos-announce                                    0    1428       3
ecos-bugs                                       14       2       0
ecos-cvs                                        23     175      40
ecos-devel                                       4     348      73
ecos-discuss                                   142     725     226
ecos-maintainers                                 5       9       0
ecos-patches                                    31     184      37
ecos-webpages-cvs                                2      94      33
elix-announce                                    0     976       2
elix-cvs                                         0       0       0
elix                                             1     244       0
elix-webpages-cvs                                0       1       0
fortran                                         83      82      16
gcc-announce                                     0    7070      17
gcc-bugs                                      1005     238      37
gcc-cvs                                        352      88       7
gcc-cvs-testrun                                  0       2       0
gcc-cvs-wwwdocs                                 28      24       1
gcc-help                                        67     578     171
gcc-maintainers                                  0     165       0
gcc                                            365     940     195
gcc-patches                                    811     307      28
gcc-ppc                                          0       8       0
gcc-prs                                          0      46       5
gcc-regression                                  56      31       1
gcc-testlist                                     0       0       0
gcc-testresults                                339      63       8
gccadmin                                        17       2       0
gdb-announce                                     0     427       0
gdb-bugs                                         0       1       0
gdb-cvs                                         41      29       4
gdb                                             73     347      92
gdb-patches                                    138     112      14
gdb-patches-prs                                  0       4       0
gdb-prs                                         11      40       4
gdb-testers                                      2      64       6
gdb-testresults                                  0       5       1
gdb-webpages-cvs                                 0       0       1
gdbadmin                                         8       4       0
gettext-alpha                                    0      12       0
gettext-announce                                 0      18       0
gettext-cvs                                      0       5       0
gettext-webpages-cvs                             0       1       0
glibc-bugs                                      52       8       0
glibc-bugs-regex                                 0       3       0
glibc-cvs                                      194      48      15
glibc-webpages-cvs                               0       1       0
global                                           0       0     N/A
gsl-announce                                     0     758       1
gsl-cvs                                          5      24       3
gsl-discuss                                      9     271      83
gsl-webpages-cvs                                 0       1       0
guile-cvs                                        0      14      11
guile-emacs-cvs                                  0      12       1
guile-emacs                                      0      27       1
guile-gtk                                        0      65       2
guile                                          187       0       0
guile-prs                                        0       5       1
guile-webpages-cvs                               0       1       0
insight-announce                                 0    1005       2
insight-cvs                                      0       0       0
insight                                          3     143      18
insight-prs                                      0      56       3
insight-webpages-cvs                             0       0       0
installshell-cvs                                 0       1       0
installshell                                     0       5       0
inti-cvs                                         0       0       0
inti                                             0      30       2
inti-webpages-cvs                                0       0       0
ip-over-scsi-cvs                                 0       0       0
ip-over-scsi-webpages-cvs                        0       0       0
java-announce                                    0    2444      11
java-cvs                                        68      36       6
java-discuss                                    39       0     N/A
java                                            39     301      59
java-patches                                   109      92      11
java-prs                                       138      42       9
jffs2-cvs                                        0       1       0
jffs2-webpages-cvs                               0       0       0
kawa-cvs                                         0       2       0
kawa                                             1      93       4
kawa-webpages-cvs                                0       1       0
libaio-cvs                                       0       2       0
libaio                                           0       1       0
libaio-webpages-cvs                              0       1       0
libc-alpha                                      31     269      21
libc-announce                                    0    1064       0
libc-hacker                                     29      36       0
libc-locales                                     0      18       0
libffi-announce                                  0      43       0
libffi-cvs                                       0       1       0
libffi-discuss                                   0      38       0
libffi-webpages-cvs                              0       1       0
libstdc++-cvs                                   58      27       2
libstdc++                                      112     263      97
libstdc++-prs                                    0      36      12
lvm-cvs                                          0      14       2
lvm-webpages-cvs                                 0       1       0
lvm2-cvs                                         8      16       3
lvm2-webpages-cvs                                0       1       0
mailer-daemon                                  205       0       0
mauve-announce                                   0     311       0
mauve-cvs                                       20       8       0
mauve-discuss                                    6      63       1
mauve-patches                                   13      24       0
mauve-webpages-cvs                               0       1       0
newlib-cvs                                       4      35       0
newlib                                           6     264       7
newlib-webpages-cvs                              0       1       0
overseers                                       17      27       0
patchutils-cvs                                   0       1       0
patchutils-list                                  0       7       0
patchutils-webpages-cvs                          0       1       0
piranha-webpages-cvs                             0       0       0
postmaster                                   10161       2       0
psim-cvs                                         0       1       0
psim-webpages-cvs                                0       1       0
pthreads-win32-cvs                               0       0       0
pthreads-win32                                   2     267       4
pthreads-win32-webpages-cvs                      0       0       0
rda                                              6      15       0
rhdb-admin                                       0       6       0
rhdb-announce                                    0      48       0
rhdb-cc                                          0       3       0
rhdb-cvs                                         0       8       0
rhdb-explain                                     0       5       0
rhdb-installer                                   0       6       0
rhdb-jdbc                                        0       3       0
rhdb                                             1      49       8
rhdb-utils                                       0       4       0
rhdb-webpages-cvs                                0       1       0
rhl-cvs                                          0       4       1
rhug-cvs                                         0       2       0
rhug-rhats                                       0      65       0
root                                           256       3       0
rpm2html-cvs                                     0       4       0
rpm2html                                         0       4       1
rpm2html-prs                                     0       3       0
sharutils-alpha                                  0      39       0
sharutils-announce                               0       4       0
sharutils-cvs                                    0       2       0
sharutils-webpages-cvs                           0       1       0
sid-announce                                     0      82       0
sid-cvs                                          0      10       1
sid-cvs-webpages                                 0       0     N/A
sid                                              1      48      13
sid-webpages-cvs                                 0       0       0
sourcemaster                                    10       3       0
sourceware-announce                              0    4966       8
sourceware-cvs                                  29       5       0
sourceware-cvs-sourceware                        0       0       0
sourceware-cvs-sourceware-webpages               0       0       0
sourceware-infra-cvs                             0       0       0
sourceware-webpages-cvs                          0       1       0
src-cvs                                         10      20       0
test-list                                        0       5       0
testcvs-cvs                                      0       1       0
testcvs-webpages-cvs                             0       0       0
webmaster                                       49       0       0
win32-x11-cvs                                    0       2       0
win32-x11                                        0      66       2
win32-x11-webpages-cvs                           0       1       0
xconq-announce                                   0     159       0
xconq-cvs                                        0      12       0
xconq-prs                                        0       1       0
xconq-webpages-cvs                               0       0       0
xconq7                                          61      93       1