Other format: [Raw text]

Help on make from cygwin on USB drive

Hi,
I've been trying to assemble a set of my favorite unix-for-pc tools on a usb keyring drive. Of course, cygwin is the centerpiece of my effort. I've read the posts by Fergus and others on installing cygwin on a cdrom. I've pretty much got things working. I elected to forgo the X server in favor of tools that use the win32 desktop directly. So far, I have cygwin base, gcc, rxvt, octave, tetex, gnuplot, Active State Perl+ Perl/Tk, emacs, Ghostscript, and Ghostview all playing nicely togther on a usb flash drive. For cygwin, I have only to make the right mount points and it seems to work (of course being very careful not to do this on a computer that already has cygwin installed).

My problem is gnu make. I can compile a program using gcc directly, but when I try to compile the same program using make, I get errors such as "undefined reference to fprintf" which seems to indicate that gcc cannot
see the header files/libraries when it is invoked by make, but it can when invoked by itself. My wild guess is that there is an environment variable that make looks at that is being set improperly or another registry key that I am unaware of???

If this has been covered in the mailing lists, I apologize in advance and encourage you to tell me where to go (in the mailing list archive that is). Any other hints would be appreciated.

thank you