Other format: [Raw text]

Re: 1.5.12-1: ld (make) Error while compiling

On Tue, Dec 14, 2004 at 01:22:37PM -0800, Brian Dessent wrote:
>And that's my complaint in a nutshell.  If you want to communicate in a
>written medium then do it properly, otherwise you just look lazy and
>unprofessional.  If you want to talk to your buddies on MSN using
>AOL-speak, then fine... But don't bring that junk to email, and
>especially not to email on a mailing list where it will be potentially
>read by hundreds or thousands.

I agree with everything Brian said.

As I always say, it boils down to "How do you want to be perceived?"

Using established contractions isn't going to make anyone think you're
lazy or uneducated.  Using "u" for "you" or, worse, 3 for e, to me,
means that you're either showing off how cool you are or you are not too
bright.  Whichever it is, you're not someone I care to engage in a
dialog.  So, using this kind of language will guarantee that you'll get
to engage fewer people and, so, the odds that you'll make your point or
get your problem fixed are diminished.

This boils down to a line in the sand for me.  I won't cross it.  I'm
not going to be convinced that someone who uses "u" is worth talking to
any more than I am going to be convinced that someone who complains
about the GPL is a free software advocate.

I sincerely hope that we will not reach a state where using "u" is
acceptable but it wouldn't surprise me much if that does eventually
occur.

cgf