Other format: [Raw text]

Re: Not being given the option of installing packages on setup

On Tue, Apr 18, 2006 at 01:11:07PM -0400, Igor Peshansky wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Apr 2006, Natalia M. Belfiore wrote:
>
> > [snip]
> > Tasha
>
> Well, actually, what he wrote is unimportant.  What is interesting (and
> really unsettling to anyone who grew up in Russia) is that Natalia (or
> Natasha) is a purely female name (c.f. "War and Peace"), and this person
> is clearly male.
>
> No point here, just venting...  :-)

Maybe it's Natasha just on the weekends?

What may be just as interesting to those that *may* read something along
the lines of War and Peace and similarly didn't grow up in Russia, is
that the name Sasha is a not the name given to a female, pure or
otherwise.  It's the dimunitive of Alexander.  Which, in English, is
... Alexander.

Sasha, Tasha.  Go figure.

Bob's yer uncle.

Actually, 'e's my aunt, but we don't talk about 'im any more.

Speaking of dimunitive, thought I'd pass along another bit of trivia.
An rsync of a Cygwin mirror yields a whopping 2.9GB, substantially
larger (and slower) than the 2GB figure that what was quoted in a recent
message.

--
George