Other format: [Raw text]

RE: Geomview & Cygwin setup

> >  $ gcc -dumpmachine
> >  i686-pc-cygwin
> >  $ gcc -dumpmachine -mno-cygwin
> >  i686-pc-mingw32
>
> Having identification behaviour dependent on a cygwin-specific flag
> like this is.. insane.

I think this is getting off-target for the main list, so I'm taking
it to the talk list.

Don't rail too hard against -mno-cygwin. It's really a special case
that some of us would like to see remain even though some may call
it ugly (or should I say mingy :-). It really does change the target
architecture, so -dumpmachine is doing the right thing.

Regardless of its sanity, I think you'll agree that the solution is
workable. You're certainly not going to pass -mno-cygwin if you're
testing the type of compiler. (Unless you're trying to test options
specified by the user, in which case this is probably what you'll
want anyway.)

> >You think that's bad? When the company I was working for spun off
> >from AT&T, they decided to name themselves "loo scent". :-)
>
> Ah, the famous brown ring of quality, which, alas, won't
> exist for much longer.

I personally thought "exit wound" was more appropriate.

gsw