Other format: [Raw text]

RE: cygwin + windows update = lock up (W2K SP4)

On 03 May 2006 18:47, Christopher Faylor wrote:

> On Wed, May 03, 2006 at 06:30:15PM +0100, Dave Korn wrote:
>> On 03 May 2006 16:59, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>> On Wed, May 03, 2006 at 11:12:02AM +0200, Ludovic Drolez wrote: Once I
>>> saw that Dave was on the case and could reproduce the problem at will,
>>> I haven't been pursuing every report of this terrifying bug because we
>>> actually do have someone investigating it.  I did try running process
>>> explorer while also running a cygwin process and did not see the
>>> problem.
>>
>> You very specifically have to bring up the properties page for the
>> process and display the "Threads" tab.  It doesn't occur (any more)
>> when you just select a process or even when you bring up the other
>> properties page tabs.
>
> I'll take your word for it.

  Sure, it was only FYI since you happened to mention it.  No need to try and
reproduce it.

> I'm not going to actively try to fix the problem since you are currently
> working on it and I see no reason to duplicate effort.

  Makes sense to me too.

> issue myself.  I may still provide a patch if an idea percolates into my
> conscious mind (and, as usual, I have been thinking about this problem),
> though.

  If you have any interesting thoughts that don't come in the form of a patch,
please nonetheless throw them out here for me to bat around.  Otherwise my
approach (given the problems in debugging this remote thread) is going to be
to add masses of instrumentation to all the dllmain and init stuff and see if
I can figure out where it's going wrong.

    cheers,
      DaveK