Other format: [Raw text]

Re: cvs vs. svn vs. git vs.... (was: Cygwin 1.7 release)

On Thu, Jun 04, 2009 at 02:57:45PM -0600, Warren Young wrote:
>Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>>
>> I still don't understand why everybody is moving away from CVS.
>
>0. Far cleaner versioning scheme: just rXXXX, instead of CVS's
>x.y.z.q.omega.hairball mess.  I guess this might annoy those who keep
>their repository versions in step with their public version numbering
>scheme, but I always found it a pain to renumber my CVS repo when there
>was a new major release.  And keeping minor releases in step?
>Fuggeddaboudit.

I think it was basically a rhetorical question.

Most of the benefits that people wave pom poms about for other SCMs
don't really apply to Cygwin.

>Asked about his backup strategy years ago, Linus said he didn't make
>backups, because all the stuff he cared about was replicated on FTP,
>news, and mail servers all over the world.  As far as software goes,
>that ignores the pain of losing the play-by-play checkin history.

I think that's a pretty compelling reason to use git actually.  When
sourceware went down a couple of days ago, I was dreading the thought
that it could have been disk corruption.  With a distributed SCM most
of the damage would have been ameliorated.

cgf