Other format: [Raw text]

Re: Resizing problem

On Fri, Jul 16, 2010 at 05:34:14PM -0500, Timares, Brian (EDS/HP) wrote:
>Christopher Faylor
>[something]

>>Big ditto.  And, I will once again offer my usual pragmatic observation
>>that going personal in a response is not going to have any positive
>>effect on your prospects of additional support from the object of your
>>diatribe.
>>
>>We are giving you stuff for free, including mailing list support.  If
>>you don't like the type of support you receive then you *can* send
>>email to a mailing list expressing your outrage but that is not likely
>>to have any positive effect whatsoever beyond the temporary flush from
>>expressing "righteous" indignation.
>

>Here are some constructive suggestions for both "sides".
>
>First, adding rudeness to the mix is unlikely to help.  The upset a
>user feels, when applied to someone else, won't result in the solution
>to what was the original issue.  Of course, the rudeness felt by a user
>when applied by someone more experienced also helps no one.

Maybe you're one of those non-native-English-speakers but I can assure
you that my message was not rude.  It was just free advice on how to get
help.

>Second, when someone gets upset, there is typically a reason for it.

Yes, I know.  I get upset when people insult the valuable members of the
Cygwin community who provide packages and help.  I think that's a really
good reason to get upset.

I think it's particularly upsetting given that we suffered for years
with no one to support Cygwin/X until Jon and Yaakov stepped up to
shoulder that considerable burden, making cygwin/x considerably better
than it had ever been before.

I would hate for them to feel that an ungrateful end-user community made
it not worth the effort.

So, yeah.  I get upset.

cgf