Cygwin pathconf() query filesystem kernel data? Re: How does Cygwin detect MSFT NFSv3 file system? Re: Weird (path) problems with cygwin test release 3.5.0-0.384.g9939aa7d0945.x86_64 ...

Martin Wege martin.l.wege@gmail.com
Mon Aug 21 12:03:00 GMT 2023

On Sat, Aug 19, 2023 at 7:50 PM Brian Inglis <Brian.Inglis@shaw.ca> wrote:

> On 2023-08-18 07:09, Martin Wege via Cygwin wrote:
> > On Fri, Aug 18, 2023 at 10:44 AM Corinna Vinschen via Cygwin
> > <cygwin@cygwin.com> wrote:

> >> The filesystem name returned by NtQueryVolumeInformationFile is "NFS".
> >> If any other NFS returns the same filesystem name, it will be treated
> >> just like MSFT NFSv3.

> >> Yes.  NFS doesn't support symlink creation and symlink reading via
> >> the usual functions, because Windows symlinks are created as reparse
> >> points.  NFS doesn't support reparse points.  So the developers of
> >> the MSFT NFS client had to invent their own way to create and
> >> read NFS symlinks:
> >>
> >> https://sourceware.org/git/?p=newlib-cygwin.git;a=blob;f=winsup/cygwin/path.cc;hb=HEAD#l1719
> >>
> >> https://sourceware.org/git/?p=newlib-cygwin.git;a=blob;f=winsup/cygwin/path.cc;hb=HEAD#l2750

> >> Yes.  Surprisingly, you can check this yourself by just calling the
> >> function and trying to compile your code.
> >
> > Apologies, how do we say in German? "Ich sollte meine Frage konkretisieren:"
> >
> > Does the Cygwin implementation of pathconf() support query data of the
> > underlying filesystem based on data from the kernel, as UNIX does? So
> > pathconf() returns different values for NTFS, ReFS, or Windows builtin
> > NFSv3?
> >
> > I am asking, because as far as I know the Linux implementation is not
> > a syscall, and instead glibc guesses values based on builtin static
> > data, and whatever fstatfs() has to offer. Compared to that UNIX
> > (Solaris, AIX, HPUX, ...) have pathconf() as a syscall, and actually
> > ask the filesystem itself.
>
> Many library functions are implemented as documented either in the Cygwin
> packages cygwin-doc and man-pages-posix available for installation; and use as
> e.g. `man 3p fpathconf`, also available online at:
> https://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/functions/fpathconf.html or
> https://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man3/fpathconf.3p.html
> and for comparison and reference we make Cygwin package man-pages-linux
> available for installation; and use as e.g. `man -m linux 3 fpathconf`, also
> available online at:
>
>         https://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man3/fpathconf.3.html
>
> suggestions for setup are in the package announcements made every 9-12 weeks
> when the latest Linux man-pages package is released and updated on Cygwin.
>
> Please also note that the getconf(1) program is installed as part of Cygwin and
> can access f/pathconf variables associated with a pathname argument, as shown in
> getconf(1) `man 1 getconf` and getconf(1p) `man 1p getconf`.

Thanks, but my question was about the Cygwin *implementation*: Does it
distinguish between NTFS, REFS, FAT, NFS? Does it use data obtained
from the Windows kernel at runtime, or does it rely on static data
compiled into the cygwin.dll library?

Thanks,
Martin